Sunday, February 21, 2010

end of an era


(James at Senior Parents night- it's tradition that they dress up silly)

So this is it. I have gone to my last High School sporting event. May not mean much to anyone, but when you have children very close in age, not even three years between them, suddenly you are face with the void......the empty nest.

This fall they will all be away at college. I mean 5, 8, and 10 hours away by car, living their own lives. My home will be so quiet and empty. I don't know how to be alone.

This summer is the last summer we will all be together. After that my one son will be doing co-ops, my daughter will be staying in NYC.... maybe my other son will come home. I can't even imagine, since I do not even know where home will be.

We have made the decision to sell the house and downsize. Our home is just too big, a money pit, and requires too much work for just two people. I am looking for more land and less house, if that is even possible around here. Eventually we would like to be in a position to we pick where we live, but until the business stabilizes, all we can do is plan for it.

Long story short, I grew attached to our family and our home, and both are changing. It's very normal, but not easy. I never wanted to stay in one place too long, but we did for the children, and now I have sad thoughts about it all changing.

I know our future will be good....it's just that it will be very different.

No comments: